This photo, from the early days, shows what was originally known as "Cardiff", and later as "Upper Town". This huge number of buildings appeared in 1910-11 and virtually all have now vanished. The large building at the center rear is the Company Stables, and one of the larger buildings on the left was likely used as the first School. Photo from Frank Bailey's book "Nicola, Similkameen and Tulameen Valleys, The Richest Section of British Columbia".
This photo, ca.1911, shows the Columbia Coal and Coke Stables located in Upper Town. Photo from the book “Nicola, Similkameen and Tulameen Valleys, The Richest Section of British Columbia” by Frank Bailey.
Many of the miners lived in Upper Town. One would imagine the management lived in the larger houses, while the miners lived in the "Seven Sisters" in the background. The large building front right is the Office of the Columbia Coal and Coke Company, and the building directly behind it (towards the Seven Sisters) is the Coalmont Townsite Office. 1911 Photo, courtesy Dave Brown.
In 1911, when Columbia Coal and Coke moved their offices from Granite Creek to Upper Town in the renamed town of Coalmont, construction took off. This photo shows the newly built Columbia Coal and Coke Office. Photo from the book “Nicola, Similkameen and Tulameen Valleys, The Richest Section of British Columbia” by Frank Bailey.
The Columbia Coal and Coke Company developed the townsite of Coalmont as a center for commercial activities with associated residential areas. The survey map was registered on June 6, 1911 in Kelowna, and the property rush began. This Coalmont Townsite Office, located in Upper Town, handled at least the early transactions. Photo ca.1911 from the book “Nicola, Similkameen and Tulameen Valleys, The Richest Section of British Columbia” by Frank Bailey.
The "Seven Sisters" were a row of basic housing occupied by some of the miners or their families who did not live right in Blakeburn. Photo ca 1930 courtesy Dave Brown.
In 2004, only one of the "Seven Sisters" still remained and only Pack Rats use it for a home. It stands immediately North of the KVR-Trans Canada Trail, across the Coalmont-Tulameen Road from the Concrete Anchor of the Tramway. Bob Sterne photo.
The only habitable building still standing in 2004 to show where bustling Upper Town was once the center of the mining activity. It is just to the East of the Coalmont-Tulameen Road immediately North of the KVR-Trans Canada Trail. Bob Sterne photo.
This photo was taken during the heyday of Coalmont, probably in the 1930's. It shows the Tramline coming down the hill and leading to the "Tipple”, which is the large building nearest the centre of the photo. The belching smoke to the left of the Tipple comes from the Power House. On the opposite side of the Railway to the Tipple are the "Seven Sisters", a row of 7 identical houses for workers. The large building in the foreground is the Company’s stables. Visible in the centre right of the photo is the Upper Town bridge. Photo from the Bill Presley Collection.